Step 1 (after soaking the beans all night and draining them) is to cover beans with water and bring to a boil over low heat. Once boiling, they should simmer for about 2.5 hours.
Step 2 is to fry some salt pork (or a few strips of bacon which is probably easier to find at the grocery store) and then cook a small, chopped onion with brown sugar, molasses, dry mustard and some salt in the grease that's left.
(Sorry, no images of the cooking onion and stuff.)
Step 3 is to combine the onion mixture with the drained, fully cooked beans and some water. Crumble the bacon on top and stick it in the oven for about 1.5 to 2 hours at 325 degrees. (I actually baked it for 1 hr 45 min and it was definitely done. Probably could have done it for 1.5 instead.)
Mmmmm...so yummy! So much work/time, but so worth it! There's a certain amount of self-satisfaction I get when a new recipe I'm trying works out. I love the thought of being able to cook/bake a variety of things with confidence. Next project: a Kentucky Stack Cake!
No comments:
Post a Comment