Wednesday, September 5, 2012
Blood Type Headache
Trying to find out my blood type today (please disregard the fact that I should probably know this already) was a huge pain in the neck without a satisfactory outcome. My local doc's receptionist said that it had to be specifically requested when blood is drawn (seriously?!); otherwise, they will not test for it. So, it is not something that comes with every blood test apparently. May I stop and interject just how stupid that seems to me? Who is going to know offhand at the time their blood is drawn that they have to ask for that? It is not something you have to know on a daily basis. It just makes sense to me that your doctor would want to have something like that in any patient's file. Moving on. She suggested I call my pediatrician's office because blood type is something they check for every newborn. I called them. They said that part of my file would be in storage. She suggested I donate blood - they will tell me my blood type for free. Ugh. My first (and last) attempt to give blood did not go as planned. It was a cold and rainy day in October. They had the blood center's motorcoach thing parked on our school campus and I guess they were so concerned about us students freezing to death they had they had the heat on high. These were tight quarters and it was like stepping into a furnace room when I stepped up into the blood-center-on-wheels. I was also nervous. I had had blood drawn annually since I was born in order to monitor my hypothyroidism, but never donated before. I had just reached the minimum age where you could donate, so I did not know what to expect. Between the nerves and the closed in feeling I had from the heated space, I was a wreck. They pricked my finger and I almost passed out. I know for a fact I did not completely pass out, but I got close. They refused to let me donate after that, but I still got a t-shirt for the effort. All that to say, donating blood round two is on Saturday morning at 7:15. Prayers will be much appreciated.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment