Molto Bella

Molto Bella
Her first morning with us...

Monday, October 5, 2009

Book Review: The Day The Falls Stood Still by Cathy Marie Buchanan

I bought this book on a whim, a thought that perhaps I should try something new every once in awhile. I had just paid for a Barnes & Noble membership and the first coupon email came soon afterward. This book was the highlight of the email. I don't remember if I was more intrigued by the historical aspect of it or the fictional, but regardless I read part of the excerpt provided online and I decided to try it.

This fictional story is intertwined with historical facts and figures about Niagara Falls. It's about a girl who grew up in a privileged family near the Falls and, in fact, attended a private academy for girls until suddenly her father lost his job. She had to leave school with only a year left and soon the world as she knew it changed drastically in so many ways. Amidst the trials, she fell in love with a riverman, who knew the river and falls better than anyone. The story is about their life together and it's intricate connection to the river. It's about her faith...or lack of it. Or perhaps it was just misplaced.

There were times that I was bored with the author's style of writing, yet I couldn't help but want to turn the page...and the next....and the next until the very end. My favorite part of the book is part of a sentence on the last page..."until it finally occurred to me that faith is believing without proof." It reminded me of Hebrews 11:1 which states "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." The history of the Falls was interesting. As far as the fictional part of the story, I liked how real it was compared to most romance novels. It felt like this couple were real, their love, their challenges, everything.

Overall it's not a bad read at all. Not something I would read over and over probably or perhaps just not often, but interesting all the same. I am not disappointed in my decision to take a risk, try something new, and purchase this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment