Molto Bella

Molto Bella
Her first morning with us...

Monday, October 19, 2009

True Meaning

Justin's sermon yesterday at Grace Bible was another eye opener for me. Yes, I already believe that Christ is both my Creator and Savior, that He is the image of God Himself...that He is the Sustainer of all things. What struck me, though, is the recognition that even though I believe these things I have not been seeking true meaning through Him as I have always thought. Here's a very brief outline of yesterday's sermon:

1. Every effect has a cause and everything on this planet is an effect.
2. There cannot be an infinite regression of causes.
3. Therefore there must be a FIRST cause.
4. The universe shows evidence of design.
5. Design does not just happen by accident.
6. Therefore there must be a DESIGNER.

Colossians 1:15-17

v15: God can be known because He has fully revealed Himself in the person of His Son, Jesus. Jesus is described as the firstborn, but it is a term used to describe his ranking as the most valuable of all creation.
v16: Jesus has existed from the beginning; He was an agent in creation.
v17: Jesus was intimately and personally involved in every aspect of creation.

Jesus IS the FIRST CAUSE!

Hebrews 1:2-3

v2: Jesus is worthy of the inheritance of all creation because it was through Him that God created all things.

v3: We can get a completely accurate image of God through Jesus who is the "radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power."

7. Jesus is the cause of creation.
8. Jesus is the sustainer of creation.
9. Jesus is the end for which all things exist.
10. TRUE MEANING can only be found in a life submitted to Jesus!

Though I cannot possibly begin to think of all the ways in which I seek to find true meaning outside of Christ, there were definitely a few that popped into mind immediately at the conclusion of the sermon. It shames me to have to admit my guilt in this. Even as harmless as some of them are or even as good as they may be, they are nothing but stumbling blocks if they keep me from finding true meaning in my life through Christ and Christ alone.

Why do I get extremely frustrated with my current job? Because I expect it to provide a certain measure of meaning and happiness and it falls short.
Why do I struggle with my singleness so much? Because I expect to find fulfillment in a relationship and I don't have one so all I can focus on is that it's missing in my life.
Why am I having to get out of credit card debt...again? Because I expect to find meaning in things I can buy, and I may temporarily, but it's just that: temporary, even if I'm not necessarily spending those funds on myself.

Those are just three ways in which I seek fulfillment outside of Christ and I have to say that I feel downright miserable just reading the list. It's not even all-inclusive! If not for Christ's redeeming love, His ability to forgive over and over and over, I would be lost.

Dear Father, examine my life and reveal to me all the ways in which I seek to find meaning apart from Your dear Son, Jesus. Teach me to seek meaning and fulfillment through Him and Him alone each and every day. Increase my desire to seek first Your kingdom and Your righteousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment