Life change is not easy. I do not know why I thought this job change and move would be a piece of cake, but apparently I did because I definitely did not expect the stress I experienced. It seems pointless to go through an in-depth recap of the last month, so I will try to summarize.
1 - I spent two and a half weeks training in Houston, but never really got a good grasp of the task I was actually hired to do. I emailed HR because I had reached a breaking point caused by a combination of homesickness, loneliness, exhaustion, frustration and the very real possibility of a fourth week in Houston. They sent me home to see how I would do and to give me a chance to get settled with the intention of bringing me back to Houston for more training if necessary.
2 - Approximately two weeks after I officially moved in, my apartment complex charges me $90 for vacant electricity/service charge based on the fact that I had not gotten my electricity hooked up on the 15th or by the end of the three day grace period, the 18th. As of the 18th, I had not even been approved to rent there. I was told on the 19th to hook up my electricity. Yet they do not understand why I am furious about the charge. Need I say more?
3 - Despite two visits from the home office in Houston, we were still behind in billing out May. Enter eight, almost nine, hours of overtime just to see my job moved to the Houston office without me and just as I was really getting the hang of it. Frustrated? Why, yes! I was!
4 - Exit frustratingly annoying co-worker (thank God) and now anxiously waiting to find out exactly what my job will entail now. You may call me an office assistant who is not quite certain with what she is assisting yet. That makes for a long day...
5 - I still have unpacked boxes in my living space. My bookshelves have not been painted and thus no books or knick-knacks have been unpacked. I have spent more at the grocery store this month than I imagined I could. So much for buying that cute pair of shoes...someone needs to keep me from shopping for the next month!
Finally, there is just the loneliness that is inevitable when you move to a new place and the only friends you have are married with babies or divorced with kids and dating someone. Do not misunderstand - these friends are dear to me, but I need someone my age with a schedule closer to mine and single with the freedom to hang out at random times. Someone who likes to go dancing or drink socially (without getting smashed) on occasion. Anyway, I need my social life back, but it is really hard to have one by yourself. Know what I mean?
Monday, June 6, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment