Molto Bella

Molto Bella
Her first morning with us...

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Sleep Deprived and Overwhelmed

I guess I should start by stating what has been going well...I had a wonderful time this weekend at the first Civil War reenactment of our group's season. It was a blessing to spend time with my dear friends and I sorely missed those who could not be there. My daddy and the oldest of my two brothers surprised me with a quaintly beautiful washstand to use in my tent at reenactments - such a sweet and thoughtful gift. The youngest brother placed 7th out of 80 at his cross country meet before he and our mom joined us on Saturday. Everyone pitched in with the meals and showed much appreciation for what I prepared. The fried apple pies brought such a happy response that we made peach ones on Sunday. They were super easy and oh, so yummy!

Unfortunately, all good things come to an end. Though I was thankful for the 8.5 hours of sleep I got Sunday night, it came at the price of not getting any homework done for today. So, I started my next model a little after seven last night and a few hours later scrapped what I had done so far because it would NOT stay glued and looked crappy anyway. A few hours after that (around four a.m.) I stopped long enough to clean up (a.k.a. soak for a bit in a hot bath - good for my back which was killing me by this point) and then got back to work. I stopped a little before 5:30 when I realized that I had made a couple pyramids too freakin' small after spending an hour measuring them, carefully cutting them out and then gluing them together. Grrrr. I felt bad because I knew I was not going to be able to go to work after only an hour of sleep. I texted my manager just before I dropped off and prayed she would get it this morning. Hopefully I still have a job waiting for me tomorrow. Honestly, though, I would not have been any good at work this morning. I barely managed to stay awake in my codes class. Anyway, rewind...I got up about 8:30 after having slept through my alarm (two hours past my alarm) and started getting ready for the day...this included finishing my model. Boo. Daddy was curious so he came to see what I was doing and ended up rounding up more cardboard for me...that was the first thing that made me want to cry this morning. It was just sweet of him to do that for me. Then I started to tell him how overwhelmed I am - I have a research paper and accompanying presentation due on Oct. 19th that I have barely looked at, a class project that I have no feasible ideas for (and neither does my partner it seems) and we are constantly being given more drawings and models to do. They take hours! So many hours that I do not seem to have left after work and other things like trying to take care of myself. You know, those life basics like eating and sleeping? They seem to elude me in large quantities these days. So, I got in the car to come to class and realized that I felt tired and strangely not tired at the same time. Of course, that lasted until I had to make the trek from the park to my building with 20 pounds of crap to tote with me. Then there was codes class. Oh my gosh. Could there be anything less stimulating?!

Now, here is sit in the computer lab for a few more minutes before I go and complete more chair sketches and then see what is added to our workload. Do not be surprised if I have a mental breakdown sometime in the near future. I have exams coming up.

Oh!!! How could I not mention this in my happy section of today's post?! Today is my precious Beauregard's third birthday. I love my sweet kitty!

No comments:

Post a Comment