Molto Bella

Molto Bella
Her first morning with us...

Thursday, January 10, 2013

When You Feel Least Thankful...

...that is a good time to find things for which to be thankful! Do you agree? Yes, I though you would.

You may be wondering why I am struggling to be thankful today when I have so much. My excuse is sleep deprivation. I have not slept well all week...which makes me tired and grumpy because I do not feel like doing much. There are still piles of boxes with things for which I need to find homes. Frames to arrange and hang on the wall. Meals to cook for lunches and dinners over the next few days. Quality time to spend with my man, which is supposed to be easier to achieve now that we only live ten minutes apart.

All of this combined has bred a discontent that makes it hard to be thankful. Honestly, though, it is really just an excuse. I have a choice whether or not to be grumpy when I am tired exhausted. I have a choice in my reactions. When my reactions are wrong or bad, it just makes me angry at myself and grumpier to everyone else. There is a thought to unpack...later.

So, some things I am thankful for today (in no particular order):

my hair feels clean and touchable today (see yesterday's post).

it only took 40 minutes to get to work this morning (instead of an hour).

green apples.

when my honey tells me he loves me.

my Tylenol PM hangover did not last as long as I thought it would.

tomorrow is Friday!

no matter how emotional I get during Redemption Groups (starting tomorrow) I know I have love and support from my man and community group and my mom.

an almost completely unpacked and organized kitchen.

a lovely new bed.

a source of income.

that I have not gotten sick...yet.

my honey is patient with me.

to have my own place again (yay for peace and privacy!).

That list is pretty random and barely scratches the surface, but it is a good start and as I read it I can feel my mood improving. Choosing an attitude of thankfulness does wonders when your natural inclination is in opposition.

No comments:

Post a Comment