Yes, I am already anticipating breaking up my vacation recap into multiple parts. I and my hosts did soooo much in three days! My vacation was more than three days long, but the bulk of the activities took place in that time. Before I tackle Day 1: D.C., however, I should tell you about my travel day on July 1st. It did not quite go as planned...
Who knew so many people would be flying out at the same time so early in the morning?! I went to Houston on Wednesday the 30th to stay with my best friend and her husband, so I would not have to leave quite so early in the morning to get to the airport on time. Problem number one: I forgot to check the VOLUME on my phone to ensure it was at a level I would hear at 4:30 in the morning while in a deep slumber. Setting a second, back-up alarm at the same volume level proved pointless. Need I say more? Adele peeped her head in my room at 5 a.m. (my planned departure time) and about six minutes later sans make-up, I was out the door. I got to the parking place where I would leave my car in good time. Found a spot, made it to the shuttle that looked like it was about to leave...then sat on the shuttle for at least five minutes before it left because a dude had come to the wrong airport and held us up because he would not get off even though he had at least three people telling him he was at the wrong airport. Talk about frustrating. I was ready to growl. For one thing it was super early and I was barely awake, considering how I woke up, and I knew that the clock was ticking. Then the shuttle stopped at Terminal E first! Terminal E?! Really? Why not go alphabetically and start at the freakin' beginning?! I needed Terminal A!!! Then I walk into the terminal and my heart literally sank. So many people. I printed my boarding pass and got into line to check my bag. I saw a Delta employee and told him my flight time - he moved me to the front of the line. Unfortunately, I did not get the same option at the security line. Good gracious was that line long! I must have been in that line 30 minutes. When I did finally get through, I had yet to hear the final boarding call for my flight so I was convinced I had made it. I walked, fast, to my gate. It was closed. No one was in sight. The employee at the gate across the way said the door had just been shut and there was nothing we could do. The employee who had shut the gate came back and insisted she had made the call. I, and three others, could not believe her. We had not heard a thing. So, back to the front desk I went, on the verge of hysterical tears the whole way. At the desk I spoke with a nice young lady and after explaining, calmly, that if I had heard the last call I would have run to the gate from security, she kindly said she would not charge me the $50.00 fee for changing flights. Then began my four hour wait for the next flight. By the time I landed at the Reagan National Airport in D.C. I had finished reading an entire book, which I had started that morning with some Passion Tea Lemonade and a Lemon Poppyseed Muffin from Starbucks after going through security the second time that morning. Did I mention that the line was considerably shorter and faster the second time around and all withing 20 minutes of the first time I had spent half an hour there?! I learned that some flights had been canceled the day before so all those people were there that early as a result. I feel like I am jumping around, but the best way to sum it up was that I was tired by the time I got to D.C.
It was completely awesome to see my friend after our five year separation. She was there to pick me up when my plane landed and we went to historic Alexandria for dinner before continuing on to her and her husband's home. In Alexandria we went into a couple shops, went to the marina so I could see the capitol building on the horizon (so neat!), saw a man playing "water glasses" (a song from Dr. Zhivago, we think), and ate seafood at a restaurant called The Wharf. The temperature was perfect for eating outdoors. A neat thing about Alexandria: it is completely dog friendly. Residents and shopkeepers put out dog bowls with water so the furry friends will have something to drink when out and about with their owners. While sitting to eat, I saw so many people walk by with their dogs...dogs of all sizes. How cool is that?
My first full day in Virginia I slept in considerably later that I think I have in years. Expecting to be up by 8 (CST) I actually climbed out of bed at 9:30 (CST). I specify the time zone because it makes me feel less lazy than 10:30 EST, LOL! My friend and I went shopping and In the midst of our shopping we stopped long enough to watch Eclipse (yay!). I must say that Jacob is looking better than ever and getting quite bold, too, LOL!
For dinner that night, my friend's hubby was kind enough to make us a nice pasta dinner. It was not long after that, though, that my eyes started drooping. Traveling the day before had drained my energy more than I thought.
Thursday, July 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment