Dictionary.com's definition of the word "suffer" is to undergo or feel pain or distress; to sustain injury, disadvantage, or loss.
So many people I know are suffering today and I can only imagine their pain because I have never experienced the magnitude of their suffering. A young lady with so much potential, almost done with college, beautiful and engaging and having a love for the Lord passed away today as a result of a 4-wheeler accident. Though I did not know her well, I love her grandparents very much and I know they are hurting immensely right now. My preacher's mom suddenly passed away last night. No one knows what happened and his father, well, I am not even sure he is aware of what is going on right now.
The associate pastor at Grace, Kyle, preached today on the last part of Romans 8...verses 18-38. Following are the notes I took:
Suffering...
- is not optional (v18); James 1:2
- involves all of Creation (v 19-22); nothing in this world escaped the result of the Fall; EVERYTHING reflects the brokenness of the world
- involves all of History (v 18-20); past, present and future
- started somewhere (v 20-21); God has subjected us to suffering, brokenness
- Genesis 3
- Satan's tactics haven't changed; he undermines our faith by making us doubt:
"did God really say?"
- Satan also makes us doubt His goodness: "you can be like God"
- God planted the tree - He knew from
the beginning what would happen
- God values our choice
- "in hope" - God's grace and mercy shine brighter through our brokenness and
our choice to serve Him
- will end someday
How do we react to difficult times?
- Groan (v23)
- Wait (v 23)
- Hope (v 24-25)
- Pray (v 26-27)
Thus far, the closest I have come to truly suffering was the loss of Michael. He had been a part of my life for so long that now his absence makes it seem as though he has died. But he has not...he still lives somewhere in this world without me and for some reason I cannot help but wonder if he ever thinks of me. So, in some ways, the pain is worse with that knowledge and I cannot seem to shake it off once and for all. I can only pray that as time continues the pain will fade. That it will fade enough so that when I truly suffer I will not be overwhelmed.
Sunday, March 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment