To help fight the blues associated with job hunting, I have taken to getting my place clean and organized and looking "lived in". Hanging a picture here and there...hanging curtain rods (hoping curtains are soon to come)...hanging mirrors...moving furniture around...
Today (the first time in months) I pulled out my Silhouette for a project. I already had a roll of vinyl which I brought from home this past weekend along with some glass etching creme. I have three empty glass bottles that have a greenish-blue tint - they once held my favorite Italian sodas from Target (I recommend the Blood Orange - yummy!) It goes well with the worn teal color in my comforter. I found a damask pattern in my Silhouette library and sized it to fit the bottles.
Using transfer paper, I transferred the stencil (made after pulling the cutout pieces away with the vinyl backing) to the bottles. I was really proud of the way I vertically centered the design...the horizontal centering did not go quite as well on the first bottle...maybe slightly better on the second. Maybe no one will notice...? After the stencil was transferred and I made sure there were not any bubbles and that all the edges of the design were pressed firmly to the glass, I applied the etching creme. I use the brand sold at Hobby Lobby and I apply it with the inexpensive foam brushes you can find at Hobby Lobby or even in some Wal-Mart stores. I made sure I applied a good even layer across the entire surface I wanted to be etched and I tried to brush in the same motion/direction the entire time I applied the creme. The instructions on the bottle of etching creme say to leave it on for five minutes...I usually leave it on longer. This is partly due to my forgetfulness with regard to setting a timer and partly because I want to make sure the etch is "good".
When I rinsed each bottle and pulled away the stencils, I was left with custom designed pieces that will last. I now have pretty bottles that match my bedroom decor in which I can put long stalks of dried naturals or delicate flowers. I may put words on the back of each bottle or put the same design on the other side...have not quite decided yet, but either way I am hooked. Here is the finished product:
Tuesday, July 26, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment