Molto Bella

Molto Bella
Her first morning with us...

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

S'mores and More S'mores

I used to think of s'mores as a more "wintry" type snack. I mean, here in Texas, you are most likely to go camping in the fall and winter months because otherwise it is just too dang hot! Who wants to roast marshmallows on a campfire in the middle of July when temps reach the hundreds?! Not me! But I do love s'mores...

It is funny because I saw a random post somewhere (whether by email update or on Facebook or on a blog - I really cannot remember) in which the author stated they roasted marshmallows over their gas stove burners. Not recommended, but works in a pinch and it is in the air conditioning! I was at the home of a couple who are becoming very dear friends to me and they just happened to have marshmallows (somewhat old, but not...too bad...) and graham crackers (they have a toddler and a three week old) and some of the new Hershey's Air Chocolate Kisses (fascinating concept, Hershey) on hand. We decided to try the broiler in the oven. By golly, it worked! And let me tell you, the smell of the toasting marshmallow was heavenly. We wanted to leave the oven door open the entire time so it could fill the house.

Side note: ever since that night I have smelled the marshmallow notes present in my Scentsy Scent Bars called My Wish so much more clearly. I highly recommend that scent! On a plus side, it is one of their "romantic" scents...

Anyway, we lined the baking sheet with parchment paper...arranged the graham cracker halves with the marshmallows sitting on top. I think in the future I might try just toasting the marshmallows on the parchment paper and scooping them up on the graham crackers fresh out of the oven. Anyway, we stuck the pan in the oven set on broil (we used the low setting so it did not toast too fast) and watched them brown. When we pulled them from the oven, we pressed a chocolate kiss in the center of each marshmallow and then sandwiched two together. So, each s'more had two graham crackers sandwiching two giant marshmallows and two Hershey Kisses. All of us enjoyed the snack so much, we made a second batch.

All that to say, I have been finding all sorts of s'more recipes since then and let me tell you...I will be trying one or all of them at some point in the future! Join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment