Molto Bella

Molto Bella
Her first morning with us...

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Book Review: Created to Be His Help Meet by Debi Pearl

This book is most noticeably written to married women. Wives. Though I do not yet fit into that category, I found myself wanting to learn how I could prepare to become a better help meet to the man I love before our marriage begins and that is how I found this book. Obviously there are some things that I simply cannot apply until vows have been spoken, but there are many aspects that I may put into practice now and thus be in the habit of doing once we are wed. I wish I could remember exactly what made me choose this particular book over others I discovered during my search. The search happened (because it took an hour tops as opposed to being an ongoing process) at a time when I felt a somewhat desperate need for guidance - aside from this being the most serious relationship I have ever had and knowing that he is the one, my honey has kids and many times I find myself clueless, facing new territory. Since the time God instilled in me a deep desire to marry and start a family, becoming the woman described in Proverb 31 has been my goal. Though I feel that I have learned a lot of valuable things from my mother and grandmother, I think the scope and magnitude of the calling that is being a wife and mother has been revealed more and more to me lately. In turn that has revealed areas in my life that need...change.

Despite not yet being halfway through the book, I strongly feel that it is good for any woman. Whether she be single desiring marriage, still in the dating stage, engaged, newlywed or married for years, this book offers valuable, Biblical-based insights. If you were to ask if there were an audience too young for this book, I would say definitely; however, I believe that is something to be determined on an individual basis by a girl's mother. If you were to ask what age I think the youngest audience for this book could be I would answer...a teenager. Teenagers notice boys. Teenagers start being influenced by the world. Teenagers start making a lot of decisions for themselves about what they believe and who they want to be and for what they want to strive. Teenagers also tend to have an idyllic notion of what relationships and marriage are - notions that are often much more fairytale in nature rather than based in reality. I would not recommend that a teenage girl read this without her mother. This is especially true if her mother is living as the help meet described in this book because then the daughter will not only have the opportunity to learn with and from her mother, but she will have visual affirmation as she sees it illustrated before her very eyes. Does that make sense? Do you think I am certifiably nuts? I do not think I can adequately explain why I feel so strongly about this other than I know as time goes by and as the relationship I have with Cam grows, I recognize more and more how the world shapes the view of what marriage is and, to put it bluntly, the world is so far off the mark.

There were a few times when I first started reading the book that I flinched and caught myself thinking, "She seems to be taking some things WAY too literally!" The more I read, however, I see how the current worldview, despite my sheltered childhood, has still had an affect on my thinking. Now as I read, it is sometimes hard not to highlight entire pages as my spirit takes in the words and recognizes the truth in them and wants to shout with affirmation!

The author, married to a pastor for over 30 years, speaks directly without apology. I like that she does not hold back and does not hesitate to call sin just what it is.There is no sugar-coating here. As hard as it is to swallow sometimes, I am glad for the direction and have hope that through the Lord's conviction and with His strength I can overcome bad habits I have formed these past 30 years to become the woman, the help meet, described in Proverb 31:10-31 and Titus 2:4-5

Why do I feel like this review only scratches the surface?! All I can say is if your heart is open to conviction give it a try - I think know you will be glad you did.

Purchase the Kindle version here.

It also comes in a paper back version if you prefer it.

No comments:

Post a Comment