Molto Bella

Molto Bella
Her first morning with us...

Friday, January 28, 2011

Sermon from Sunday Past

I did not intend to let almost an entire week pass before writing this post. I would have written it Sunday afternoon except I decided I wanted to include a link to the sound file once it was posted...and I took a long Sunday nap. Then after the evening service at my parents' church I was kidnapped by friends who wanted to hang out for awhile (yes, we had fun!).

The sermon at Grace on Sunday morning (1.23.11) was something I have needed to hear my entire life. It has completely changed the way I look at God's will for my life. It convicted me very directly about how I have focused so much on not hearing what I expected wanted to hear directly from Him that I have been completely missing out on the FREEDOM He intended for my life as His child. Each of the points made by our pastor described my habits so well that I was in shock...then convicted...then ashamed...and finally determined to change them.

Below are my notes from the service and then a link to the actual sermon itself...

All of us have asked God to show us His will for our lives.

3 Aspects of God's Will:
  • Will of Decree - how things are
    • God has set a certain order to things and that's the way it will be regardless of how we think it should be
    • His plan WILL BE accomplished
  • Will of Desire - how things ought to be
  • Will of Direction - God's personal plan for me
Problems with Conventional Understanding:
  • Focuses on non-moral decisions.
  • Implies that God is sneaky.
  • Encourages unhealthy preoccupation with the future.
  • Chains me to hopeless subjectivism.
  • Undermines personal responsibility, accountability and initiative.
God wants me to take risks for Him! Example: Queen Esther
My fear to take a risk for God is keeping me from living in the freedom He desires for His children.

How do I make decisions?
  • Personally interact with the Scriptures in their context.
  • Pray for and act upon received wisdom.
  • Seek counsel from those living Christ-honoring lives.
 The Will of God - Sunday, Jan 26, 2011
 

No comments:

Post a Comment