I picked up this book for two reasons. First, I knew there was a film being released that is based on the book and two, I was curious about it after reading the back cover. The second reason is why I pick up a lot of the books I do...if the brief synopsis on the back can reel me in, it must be good. Sometimes I am disappointed, but this was not one of those times.
Though Mr. Sparks' story lines all seem about the same, his characters make each of his books unique. I loved the characters in this book. I related to Ronnie in some ways. I loved her brother, Jonah. Her father's patience and readily available forgiveness, testaments to his growing faith, made him endearing. I was struck, and humbled, by Will's ability to look past appearances and seek the true person that was Ronnie. These characters will draw you in and if you get emotional I can guarantee there will be tears while reading this book.
Though I know there will be changes in the film, I am anxious to see Miley's interpretation of Ronnie. As the central character, I wonder if she will be able to pull off the hurt Ronnie who is acting out and angry and the real Ronnie, who has a loving and gentle heart even amidst her own pain. I wonder if she will be able to show the growth that Ronnie goes through from the beginning to the end.
In any case, I highly recommend that you read the book. Not only do I believe that "the book is always better" than any film made to portray it, but I also believe it has the capability of teaching you something about the influence God's presence could have in your life.
Monday, April 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment