Have I mentioned how much I love to read? I LOVE to read. I can read anything I set my mind to, but typically it involves fiction. Christian fiction is my favorite genre and under that umbrella I typically read historical fiction, romantic fiction, contemporary fiction, mystery/suspense...occasionally I venture outside the Christian fiction genre, but that is rare. If I tried to list all of my recent fiction reads I would be sure to miss something. I have lost track. Hmmmm, I guess that would depend on how you define "recent"...but, all that to say, I read a lot of fiction.
I do make an effort to read nonfiction. It takes me forever to get to the end, though, because it literally puts me to sleep. If I am having trouble sleeping, just hand me a nonfiction book. Currently I am working on Beth Moore's Get Out of that Pit!, which is a really good eye-opener. I plan to read her book So Long, Insecurity next.
When a book captivates me, I can sit/lounge/lay/curl up for hours with it, rarely getting up and only if absolutely necessary. I have stayed wide awake many nights just reading. When a story is so good that you cannot put it down, you know you have a winner.
The first thing that typically catches my eye about a book is its cover. The cover is what will make me pick it up and read the back. The author's name on the front helps, too. That is part of the cover, right? Anyway, once I pick it up I read the back. I hate to say it, but if a character has a dorky name it is a turnoff. If a writer cannot give the characters decent names..well, obviously it is a subjective thing. Some people may think the names are genius. After looking at the names, if the brief synopsis does not hook me in the book is placed back on the shelf and I move on. If I put it back and yet cannot stop thinking about it I usually end up getting it.
There are times when I visit Barnes & Noble or Hasting's or Amazon or Christianbook.com that I end up with two or three...or four or five...or more books that I simply hate to have to choose between. The fact I cannot read them all at one time is beside the point. Also beside the point is the fact that they are not going anywhere...just because I cannot get them all NOW does not mean they will not be available later. Some concepts just have trouble sinking in...pitiful, I know.
So, now you know one of my passions. I wish I could explain just how fulfilling reading is and communicate the excitement I feel as I open the pages of a book I just know will be good. I hope that if I have accomplished anything with this post it is that I have encouraged you to begin reading or to read more. Reading can be such an escape and it allows you to use your imagination in wonderful ways. I cannot wait to have children of my own to whom I can read and, eventually, teach to read. Reading has been one of the most constant parts of my life and I thank God for giving me this passion.
Some of my favorites include:
Tuesday, April 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment